'Bajing' chess set

NOVICA in association with National Geographic offers thousands of limited edition and one-of-a-kind gifts jewelry and home decor treasures handmade by master artists and artisans throughout the world. Opposing Buddha figures meet over a checkered plateau accompanied by scurrying Bajing (squirrels) their encounter a sample of hand-carved excellence. Working with local kepelan wood Ketut Sandi details each piece with delicate accuracy and dynamic ease. Sandi finds inspiration in Buddhist spirituality - she transfers unto the board an intrinsic sense of tranquility to guard a chess game's competitive essence. Artisan Info: The artistry of I Ketut Sandi has been featured in numerous periodicals and on Oxygen TV. He is also featured in Keepers of the Arts a beautiful hardcover book available through Novica. "Every time I think about my childhood I remember that what I really wanted to do was what I am doing now. But because times were hard I tried to learn how to do other things like painting and normal statue carving - all to be able to make ends meet. In the end however what finally worked for me was to make my chess tables. It is always our dreams and our belief in life that give us the best results no matter how difficult the dream or how sore our feet get during the journey. "I started to learn how to carve in 1968 and began my full-time apprenticeship in 1981. I studied under a master carver who taught me how to be more creative even with ordinary figures. His

  • Handmade by I Ketut Sandi

  • Ships from Bali within 7 days



More detail ...

0 comments:

Post a Comment

My Blog List